Job Title: Legal Assistant
This is a summer position intended for law students who have completed 2 years of law school. Non-profit governance, preparing court documents including applications for Court Orders, researching case law for review by a lawyer, and preparing any legal task documentation as required with an emphasis on supporting youth concussion and non-profit support initiatives. Assist VBIA to develop a legal guardian program for brain-injured youth and seniors.
- File legal complaints
- Interview witnesses as directed
- Prepares legal documents for pre-filing approval
- Create charity governance compliance procedures checklists
- Research non-profit governance best practices
- Research non-profit compliance best practices
- Research concussion diagnosis and compensation for youth
- Research legal guardian duties and responsibilities in British Columbia
- Assist VBIA to develop a legal guardian program for brain-injured youth
- Collaborate with Non-profit Development and Youth Concussion teams
- Participate in Leadership & Delegation training and in Digital Skills training
- Learn and apply trauma-informed practices in all interactions with clients and volunteers
- Perform other duties as may be requested
Completion of 2 years of law school.
- Corporate or non-profit law interest or experience
- Subject knowledge and oral/written communication skills to discuss and document legal issues regarding support for non-profits initiatives.
- Subject knowledge and oral/written communication skills to discuss and document legal issues regarding youth brain injury initiatives.
- Ability to work independently, organize case files, prepare documentation for review
- Familiarity with office administration, strong clerical skills
- Strong organization and interpersonal skills
- Strong code of ethics
- Strong dedication to justice and a compassion for brain-injured youth
- Commitment to supporting non-profits
- Familiarity with Directors and Officers insurance an asset.
Reference ID: 2020CSJ.LA01
Job Types: Full-time, Temporary